ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IntrospectionHelper request
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 16:43:55 GMT
On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 23:53, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I'm going back and forth with the XDoclet guy and have more details on what
> his goal is.  There is a task <templatedoclet> that contains a HashMap of
> configuration options that they currently populate this way:
>
>    <templatedoclet ....>
>       <config-param name="MyConfig" value="the value"/>
>
> But instead they'd like something like this:
>
>    <templatedoclet .... MyConfig="the value">
>
> And of course this isn't allowed because there is no getMyConfig in
> DocletTask.
>
> Without delving deep into IntrospectionHelper, I'd like to bounce off an
> idea and see how its taken.  Create an interface (named DynaTask? - I've
> been following commons-dev DynaBean discussions so can't think of anything
> more original) that has a method (setDynaAttribute?) with the signature
> setDynaAttribute(String name, String value).  If no setter is found in the
> current process of finding one, if the class implements the "dynamic"
> interface then the interfaces method is called.
>
> That won't break backwards compatibility (I don't think) and would provide
> the XDoclet team with some additional flexibility, and it seems generally
> useful for simplyfing this kind of dynamic configuration for tasks.
>
> Thoughts?

To me it seems like an ugly hack to get around limitations of ant1.x - while
it may be possible to implement this style funcitonality in Ant2 - I don't
think it will be done this way or even readily supported by committers.

--
Cheers,

Pete

The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen and
all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like women.
Actually, you're just horny. It doesn't mean you like women any more at
twenty-one than you did at ten.                --Jules Feiffer (cartoonist)