ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Refactor of PathTokenizer - am I missing something?
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 00:39:49 GMT
--- Jeff Tulley <JTULLEY@novell.com> wrote:
> If the build file is system independent, how would "/usr/bin/somedir"
> get translated on Windows?  I can see that relative paths should get
> resolved correctly, but absolute paths will always be, by definition, OS
> dependent.

I look to Ant to deal with path-separator/file-separator independence,
which it does quite nicely (I hate typing backslashes :). Putting a
hard-coded full-path into any type of build-file (for
Ant/Make/Jam/whatever) is just asking for trouble -- that's what
properties/variables are for. I don't think trying to make Ant jump
through hoops so it can deal with that sort of thing is necessary, since
it already allows for reading in property files, which is where that sort
of information should go (and if someone really really wants to put a
full-path into the build-file, there's always <pathconvert>).

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)