ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@rediffmail.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Expand.java
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2002 14:47:45 GMT

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 Steve Loughran wrote :

Received this mail just now, hence the delayed reply.

> Magesh,

> In particular, here are some of the implications of
> moving to SrcDir and DestDir
>
> 1. where exceptions get thrown has moved.
> 2. the exception messages change, which can break tests
> 3. we are potentially tightening up the rules of
> validity. Which is good,
> but it runs a risk of people coming back from the
> crimble break and
> discovering their builds no longer work.

I agree with 1, but not necessarily with 2 & 3.  While
refactoring, I have made sure we didn't have code that
checked a specific build exception message.  Also,
I made sure I didn't alter current behaviour in any way.

> I fear your changes to Expand have broken peoples
> build. The tasks' dest can be a directory or a file;
> the task behaves appropriately. Your change to the
> task now only lets a destination directory be selected.

No, it wouldn't have broken any build.  Expand has always
been recognizing only directories as valid dest attrs.
I guess this is what you referred to in your other email
about you having confused Expand with Unpack?

> build files will be a test, and I shall await tonights
> GUMP build with curiousity.

It didn't break anything, as I expected.

> Also, please leave jar,zip,war,ear alone. I have
> changed them on this box, but the tests need
> improvement before I am prepared to commit the changes.

I won't touch them ;-)

Magesh