ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Stockall <je...@cryptocard.com>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] Attrib task (chmod for Windows)
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:40:58 GMT
On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 14:09, Peter Janes wrote:

> With two tasks, you have to duplicate every set of permissions in build.xml
> and know the syntax of the applicable commands on each platform, or risk
> breaking on platforms you haven't considered (for example, what happens when
> I compile your code on Mac?).  Plus, remember that NT can have "extended"
> permissions similar to UNIX ACLs.

On OS9 neither task would run. On OSX chmod would run. & since chmod on
the Mac accepts the same permission syntax as other Unixes there would
be no problem. As for other platforms, nothing would happen, as both the
chmod & attrib tasks perform a platform check.

The NT ACL's are more like chown/chgrp & chmod rather than just chmod.

How would you determine whether to use chmod.exe or attrib.exe. Both can
be valid on Windows, but chmod can't handle all the attributes that
attrib can.

--
 Jesse Stockall			|	Tel: 1+ 613.599.2441 ext. 243
 CRYPTOCard Corporation		|	Fax: 1+ 613.599.2442