ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant 1.9 & Task Packaging
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:54:46 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Neward" <tneward@javageeks.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 11:07
Subject: Re: Ant 1.9 & Task Packaging

> > Yes, I know that (Hi Ted, I've read your book 8-).
> >
> *sniff* It's always so touching to know I've reached out and corrupted--I
> mean *influenced*--another Java programmer.... :)
>
> This whole task-dependency thing (as near as I can tell) is really an
> outgrowth of a larger problem within Java, that there is no
> dependency-tracking in general between components (.jar files, in this
> case). Windows had "DLL Hell", we have "Jar Hell". I've been trying to get
> guys at Sun to listen to this, but they're not biting.

One could argue that DLL hell is an intrinsic state of the OS, ever since
win31 could not load two dlls with the same name, like "hook.DLL" or
"clock.exe".

Jar hell is an emergent technology, which requires the java ext mechanism
and the whole variety of sealed JAXP, crimson and other bits of the XML
processing chain to deliver an experience comparable with windows.

....NET has quite a good 'strong name' based versioning system; apps
effectively bind only to the version of a library they were written to and
no more. But if that library calls the OS, you still get version grief.