ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: IntrospectionHelper request
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 12:53:24 GMT
I'm going back and forth with the XDoclet guy and have more details on what
his goal is.  There is a task <templatedoclet> that contains a HashMap of
configuration options that they currently populate this way:

   <templatedoclet ....>
      <config-param name="MyConfig" value="the value"/>

But instead they'd like something like this:

   <templatedoclet .... MyConfig="the value">

And of course this isn't allowed because there is no getMyConfig in
DocletTask.

Without delving deep into IntrospectionHelper, I'd like to bounce off an
idea and see how its taken.  Create an interface (named DynaTask? - I've
been following commons-dev DynaBean discussions so can't think of anything
more original) that has a method (setDynaAttribute?) with the signature
setDynaAttribute(String name, String value).  If no setter is found in the
current process of finding one, if the class implements the "dynamic"
interface then the interfaces method is called.

That won't break backwards compatibility (I don't think) and would provide
the XDoclet team with some additional flexibility, and it seems generally
useful for simplyfing this kind of dynamic configuration for tasks.

Thoughts?

    Erik