ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Refactor of PathTokenizer - am I missing something?
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2002 01:32:57 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>

> Now as an extra bit of confusion, it is worth noting that ";" has special
> meaning on an NTFS file system, as it lets you specify 'content streams'
> under a filename. Mac users will know what I mean as resource and data
> forks, other people will only have come across the issue as one of the
many
> IIS hacks to get ASP source.
>
> build.xml;1 === build.xml  as you normally see it
> build.xml;2 === some other fork you can attach to a file

NT was designed by the same person that built VMS, but VMS uses ";" to
separate version numbers as its a versioning filesystem.

How did it go from versions to 'content streams' between the two O/S's??
And why aren't other operating systems using versioning implicitly?

At one company where I worked, our version control system *was* the
operating system, thanks to VMS, and it worked very well.  Oh how I miss
VMS....

    Erik