ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 18:24:25 GMT
From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>

> Oh I do not mind having classes that do the syntactic verification
> if the default Java classes do not. That I think it is fine. Where
> I have a problem is when we try to go beyond syntax into semantics.

Differentiating between syntactic and semantic validations
make sense in client-server/servlet-EJB environments.  But
why should we be differentiating between them in Ant?  After all,
if we do not do semantic validation during 'setting' tme, it is going
to be performed (hopefully) in the execute method - there are
no multiple layers involved here (at least ATM).  Do you suggest
against doing semantic validations during 'setting' time because
you envision Ant being used in some sort of a client-server
env where setters are called by the client and execute is called
by the server?  Or is it something else?

> Jose Alberto

Magesh