ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant Coding guidelines
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:41:45 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephane Bailliez" <sbailliez@imediation.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 06:07
Subject: RE: Ant Coding guidelines

[...]
>>Plus of course: jdepend, <maudit> (litte french language joke there
>>Stephane?), and jprobe coverage. If someone has these tools on their
system

>Absolutely not.
>It is the name used. The class itself is 'MAudit'. and the launcher is
>'maudit'

Oh, I always assumed it was, and have been awaiting the <foutu> defect
reporting task to go with it, or thought you were doing a series on the mont
blanc massif, with Mont Maudit (a subsidiary peak) being the first
implementation.

>>I guess that is the diff between local team projects and big OSS efforts;
it
>>is harder to enforce things. In our team we can say things like "Comment
>>your code like that and we send you the Cold Room for half an hour to
>>install stuff on the server"; the room being so cold that would be against

>Lucky you ! I found it easier in OSS than in a company because people are
>usually more responsible. Many people in a company are developpers because
>it's quite well  payed and there is no real problem to find a job and don't
>give a s* about what they are doing and don't have the cense of ownership
in
>their work.

>It is nonetheless impossible to somewhat 'threaten' people because you
can't
>fired people like this in France. Firing people for not respecting coding
>guidelines will not be interpreted as 'faute grave' (ie: professional
>mistake) by the law and the employee can sue the company for $ or ask to
>reintegrate the company.

>You have to be very careful when hiring someone. It is easier to fire
>someone because he did not dress correctly rather than because he f* up
>something or does nothing.

Yeah I've worked with french companies. some of the people are very smart,
others utterly incompetent, the latter are worse than empty heads on a team
as they not only cause damage that needs fixing, they raise management
expectations.

We dont need to resort to serious forms of reinforcement for negative
behavior, because is something doesnt work, ops phone you up at whatever
time of night (*), even if you are sleeping in a snow hole half way up mount
jefferson at the time.

It's easy to focus people on a simple "screw up and you get woken up" rule,
but that doesnt address productivity, only code quality.

(*) of course, since fatherhood arrived this doesnt scare me any more