ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: building myrmidon
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:54:54 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

> excellent! Another kool idea was sucking some of the docs out of
docs/manual
> and placing them in the tasks and seeing if we could generate XML docs for
> the tasks.  We could then transform them using velocity/xslt/etc.

Yup... we just need to come up with some conventions on the XDoclet tags
once you see how it works and sign off on it.  Its non-trivial to get really
tight with the documentation mapping because of situations where a task
could have three attributes where if one is set one way, it constrains the
possible values of another one, or conditionally disallows an attribute.
But we certainly can get the documentation into the code and have it
generated - just some of the specifics will have to be ironed out.

We can put tags on the class, methods, or variables and have them all picked
up however we like.  Its very extensible.  Its possible we'll run into
situations where we need to generate more than what the template capability
can do, in which case we'll have to write some custom XDoclet extensions
(perhaps to create multiple files all in one pass for example).

In the meantime - I've fixed up the XDoclet stuff I committed so that it now
should generate the exact same core-ant-descriptor.xml file that you had
done by hand.  Let me know if you see any descrepancies.

    Erik