ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <>
Subject Re: ExecuteJava and initializeClass
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:19:36 GMT
Here is a recap of what I have tested and confirmed:

With the reflection based patch applied, I performed
the test laid out at
on the following platforms/JDKs with these results:

WindowsNT, 98
Sun JDKs 1.1.6, 1.1.7A, 1.1.8, 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.3.0, 1.3.1
Result: B CLASS INITIALIZATION gets printed.

IBM JDK 1.1.8
get printed.  But this is not really an Ant issue because
it does not get printed even when java is invoked from the
command line.

FeeBSD port of JDK 1.1.8:
Result: B CLASS INITIALIZATION gets printed.

Platforms/JDKs *not* tested:
Linux - Blackdown/IBM/SUN

As I mentioned earlier, this patch will force the static
initializers to be invoked without having to create a
new instance of the object.

The existing code works on all environments mentioned
above, including IBM JDK 1.1.8, but it carries the
undesirable side effect of calling the constructor.

I think it is reasonable to say that Ant's <java> task
will work just like that of the jdk's - no more, no less.
Do you agree?  If so, I will commit this patch as my tests
have given me a reasonable level of confidence - of course
it hasn't been tested on linux yet ;-(

Let me also know if I need to be testing against some
other earlier versions of the JDK - Icouldn't lay my hands
on Sun'c JDKs earlier than 1.1.6...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message