ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Dawson" <tdawso...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Ant Logo submission
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:19:18 GMT
Conor writes
> Anyway, I am inspired to contribute some ASCII art
>
> <ant>
>  \_/
> \(_)/
> -(_)-
> /(_)\

I really don't mean to offend anyone, being that I have few artistic
abilities myself, but I honestly like Conor's simple ASCII art better than
any of the colorful 3D logos that have been posted.

The best logos in the world are VERY simple, i.e. two dimensional and
limited colors. Think Apple, NeXT, IBM, Microsoft. The ascii ant does this,
and also ties in nicely with the fixed-width-font commonly used when writing
code and using command-line tools. The <ant> title also ties in nicely with
XML. (unfortunately I didn't notice this until after I did the attached gif)

See attached for a very simple example how to take the ascii art, make it
into an easily recognizable logo by just adding the words and a single
color. Note: I'm not submitting this particular gif as a possible logo, just
as an example to show we could actually use an ascii art logo.

Tim