ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: ftp task in ANT
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 06:53:42 GMT
I am starting to think the Could not create task or type of type: error
message needs to be tuned to satisfy end user needs better, or alternatively
to stop people mailing groups/filing bugreps. Something like

Could not create a task of type: foo

This is NOT a bug in ant, merely a minor issue in Ant and build file
configuration.

What can you do:

1. do NOT panic, mail all the mailing lists and generally escalate the
problem out of proportion.

2. If this is a core Ant task, then maybe a dependent library is needed.
Look at the manual page of the task to see what it recommends.

3, if this is an optional Ant task, you need the optional tasks jar file,
and perhaps some extra libraries. Again, look at the manual page

4. If this is a third party task, you must import it using a <taskdef>
statement, have the task JAR and any dependent JAR files either in the ant
library directory or in the classpath specified in the <taskdef> statemens.

5. If you compiled ant yourself, you didnt have all the needed libraries in
place for the tasks you are now trying to use

6. If this is a nightly build, be advised that condition (5) applies to the
version you just downloaded.

---------
Comments?