ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <antlib> (was RE: Ant 1.9 & Task Packaging)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:32:01 GMT
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>

> > So what's holding us back with implementing <antlib>? There were some
> > proposals a while back but nothing ever really happened with them, it
> seemed
> > there was some concern about forward-compatibility with Ant2 - is that
> still
> > the concern?
>

> Jose Alberto's implementation is in the sandbox; works with today's builds
> and includes the descriptor generation task as well as the loading task.
>
> But to go into the main codebase there has to be widespread happiness about
> the descriptor and the process for declaring it.

Let me just say, that I would had no problem on considering making changes or
adding features to the descriptors, either from the begining or over time.
But sadly, some in the committers team just plainly used the veto power
and that was the end of that.

> I agree with your critique of the Condition task BTW, Tim, it should not
> need a code change to add a new conditional test, or to add a new EJB back
> end. Which makes me thing we may even need a very generic descriptor, one
> which doesnt list tasks so much as list implementations of interfaces

There has been at least a million discussions on this issue. But every time
someone comes with a patch or proposal for ANT1.x it gets vetoed because
of one comitters view or another. It is very frustraiting to get any of the major
issues addressed with this sort of reaction all the time.

> <implements interface="org.apache.tools.ant.interfaces.Taskable">
>  <implementation
>     name="DeleteRandomFiles"
>     class="org.someone.MyClass"
>     description="delete random files"
>     failuretext="you need cryptographicallyStrongRNG.jar" />
> </implements>
> <implements interface="org.apache.tools.ant.interfaces.Conditional">
>  <implementation name="maybe" description="sometimes succeeds"
> class="org.someone.Maybe/>
> </implements>
> <implements interface="org.apache.tools.ant.interfaces.EjbBackEnd">
> </implements>

This looks a litle like <roles/> from myrmidom. Which we have also discuss
in the past but to no avail with respect to ANT1.x.

Why is such a reluctance to move on ANT1.x? Are the committers afraid the if ANT1.x
gets fixed, then ANT2 will have no reason to exist?

Jose Alberto