ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Refactor of PathTokenizer - am I missing something?
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 19:10:27 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Tulley" <JTULLEY@novell.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 9:32 AM
Subject: RE: Refactor of PathTokenizer - am I missing something?

> 3) for windows style paths (c:\\test), unix is unable to meaningfully
> resolve them, it becomes "/c" and "/test"

I would have expected the unix resolution to be "c" and "/test", on the
grounds that "c:d" is a valid path of two elements.

Now as an extra bit of confusion, it is worth noting that ";" has special
meaning on an NTFS file system, as it lets you specify 'content streams'
under a filename. Mac users will know what I mean as resource and data
forks, other people will only have come across the issue as one of the many
IIS hacks to get ASP source.

build.xml;1 === build.xml  as you normally see it
build.xml;2 === some other fork you can attach to a file

so really, really really, you shouldnt use ";" as a list separator of files
on NTFS, because it can cause confusion: build.xml;2;build.xml;1 could be
resolved in a number of ways, that build.xml;2:build.xml;1 wouldn't if the
colon were the only separator.

However, we ignore this fact on the grounds that
a) almost nobody knows about NTFS content streams
b) nobody have ever tried to use them under ant. apparently