ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] Attrib task (chmod for Windows)
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:08:01 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Oxspring" <roxspring@yahoo.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 9:24 AM
Subject: RE: [SUBMIT] Attrib task (chmod for Windows)

> Why should Chmod.java and Attrib.java force an operating system
> precondition?
>
>     protected boolean isValidOs() {
>         return Os.isFamily("unix") && super.isValidOs();
>     }
>
> It is simply not true that the os family must be unix for the task to run.
> "unix" should probably be a default value, but the os parameter should be
> enhanced to allow a list of valid families e.g. "unix, windows" thereby
> allowing chmod to be used under windows and unix based builds.

the big issue is we want <chmod> to be a no-op if it aint supported
underneath, right?

So how about we always exec it and silently catch the excepto if it aint
found; the recent-ish mods in exec to not fail if the exec wont start should
do the trick.

The risk is that some platform has chmod do something wierd, or re-interpret
the parameters differently.