ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Dawson" <tdawso...@yahoo.com>
Subject JSR for Ant (was RE: Ant 1.9 & Task Packaging)
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:51:49 GMT
Conor writes:
> Just to be clear - you are not supporting a JSR style
> process, are you?

Its good to clarify - there were two proposals in that paragraph. :-)

Based on your wording, it sounds like you think a JSR process might not be a good idea. Am
I misreading that?

I don't know all of the pros/cons, but JSR for Ant seems fairly obvious to me -- the JSR process
is being used to standardize all manner of 3rd party Java tools/servers, why not something
as common as a build system? This JSR/Jakarta tie-in seems to work fairly well for Tomcat,
and the taglibs project has welcomed with open arms JSR-052 (standard taglib) with many of
the committers (myself included) becoming members of the expert committee, as well as hosting
the RI. So why not do this for Ant?

One of the stated goals of Ant2 is to be useful in multiple contexts, e.g. command line, IDE,
autobuild tools, etc. A JSR process would get direct input from 3rd party IDE vendors to ensure
that Ant is adopted across those tools.

Tim