ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Dawson" <tdawso...@yahoo.com>
Subject <antlib> (was RE: Ant 1.9 & Task Packaging)
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:31:05 GMT
Stefan writes:
> > BEA should be able to provide a "weblogic.jar" that could just be
> > referenced in a build file, and used with whatever recent version of
> > Ant you've downloaded.
>
> You are absolutely correct, they should be.  Why don't they?  All
> people would have to do was to add a single <taskdef> line.

They actually have eight tasks, and it would be more than a single line...
you'd have to add

<taskdef name="ddinit"
         classname="weblogic.ant.taskdefs.ejb.DDInit"
         classpath="/bea/wlserver6.1/lib/weblogic.jar"/>
<taskdef name="wsgen"
         classname="weblogic.ant.taskdefs.ejb.WSGen"
         classpath="/bea/wlserver6.1/lib/weblogic.jar"/>
<taskdef name="wsdl2java"
         classname="weblogic.ant.taskdefs.soap.WSDL2Java"
         classpath="/bea/wlserver6.1/lib/weblogic.jar"/>
<taskdef name="java2wsdl"
         classname="weblogic.ant.taskdefs.soap.Java2WSDL"
         classpath="/bea/wlserver6.1/lib/weblogic.jar"/>
<taskdef name="ddget"
         classname="weblogic.ant.taskdefs.j2ee.DDGet"
         classpath="/bea/wlserver6.1/lib/weblogic.jar"/>
<taskdef name="p4changes"
         classname="weblogic.ant.taskdefs.perforce.P4Changes"
         classpath="/bea/wlserver6.1/lib/weblogic.jar"/>
<taskdef name="p4versionstring"
         classname="weblogic.ant.taskdefs.perforce.P4VersionString"
         classpath="/bea/wlserver6.1/lib/weblogic.jar"/>
<taskdef name="createidl"
         classname="weblogic.ant.taskdefs.iiop.CppIdlSetup"
         classpath="/bea/wlserver6.1/lib/weblogic.jar"/>

This is ugly enough that you probably don't want to copy it among all your
ant files. Plus, they have a ton of examples, all of which use Ant, and it
would be a lot of maintenance of those build files to keep this up to date,
say if they added a new taskdef or changed a classname or whatever.

If we could condense this to one line, i.e.

<antlib location="${weblogic.home}/lib/weblogic.jar"/>

I think they'd probably be happy to add that to each of the build.xml files
in exchange for not having to include a version of ant inside their
weblogic.jar file.

So what's holding us back with implementing <antlib>? There were some
proposals a while back but nothing ever really happened with them, it seemed
there was some concern about forward-compatibility with Ant2 - is that still
the concern?

Tim