ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <>
Subject Re: Problem in W2K with offline filesystem
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:29:02 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Sengupta>; "Avik" <>
To: "'Ant Developers List'" <>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 9:21 PM
Subject: Problem in W2K with offline filesystem

> This is not necessarily an ant issue, but is interesting nevertheless, so
> thought i would send it around.
> Yesterday I took my windows 2000 laptop home after setting a network share
> (a samba mounted Solaris filesystem) to be made available offline.
> Obviously i use ant for all projects :), so as i was developing, i ran
> jar" and got the following error:
> jar:
> IOException getting canonical path for E:\projects\dokit\mirdesigner.jar:
> There
> are no more files
>       [jar] Building jar: E:\projects\dokit\mirdesigner.jar

That is an interesting error, but I dont think anyone is going to fix it. I
mean, lets face it, MS Word doesnt run properly from an off line filestore,
and that came from microsoft themselves (you cant suspend a notebook when
editing a network file, even if the file is in the offline cache)

1. do not trust the offline file system in win2K, not with anything you
value. It is adequate for a self-updating cache of read only content, but is
not a valid place to create new build directory heirarchies.

2. consider an SCM system with an off-line mode instead.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message