ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ANSI Color Logger
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:37:00 GMT
From: "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>

> > > Any ideas on how to implement and specify from the
> > > command-line chainable loggers?
> >
> > Why should it be chainable?  Why shouldn't we be
> > able to specify multiple loggers?  After all,
> > they are just 'listeners', right?
>
> Chainable so we can have colorized no banner output
> *and* have it send an e-mail.

Oh, I get that piece alright. :-)

> They aren't just listeners... there is more to a
> BuildLogger than a BuildListener.  Only one logger is
> capable right now because it has control over the output
> print stream.

*right now* is the key word here.  What I am suggesting
is we enhance this so that multiple loggers can co-exist
such that loggable messages get sent to multiple streams.
This IMHO will solve the use-case you have outlined
without having to implement chaining (which has drawbacks
- if one logger in the chain fails, the remaining chain
will not work, etc.)

>     Erik

Cheers,
Magesh