ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: offtopic: Windows XP
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 02:14:44 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Newton" <snewton@standard.com>
To: "'Ant Developers List'" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 16:12
Subject: RE: offtopic: Windows XP

> No doubt it's oxymoronic!  I kinda like the idea of thumbing
> my nose at MSFT by using XP to develop J2EE applications that
> will get deployed to production Unix servers.  In all seriousness,
> because my company has identified a desire to move to XP for both
> business users and developers, I felt a need to at least ask if
> there are any showstoppers.  So far I've used every version of
> windows since 95 to write Java and not had anything other than the
> usual sorts of windows issues.  Knock wood!

well, I am getting intermittent BSOD events this week; the new "user
friendly" display doesnt bother to tell you which driver was active so you
cant tell who to blame. I suspect my twin CPU config; I may rebuild the OS
(it was an upgrade, see).

The biggest dev risk is that even if you run J2ee locally, you accidentally
code some platform specificness into it (like assume case insensitive
filesys or use forward slashes in file names), so you cant deploy to unix
later on. So test on unix from the beginning.

...I like XP on laptops; it also has good twin monitor support. Wouldnt
bother with it server side right now; I'd stick with win2K even for .net
stuff unless there was something in the COM+ improvements that I really
needed, which is thankfully not an issue in java land.

-steve