ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Dawson" <tdawso...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Task postfix?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:11:20 GMT
It doesn't "solve" any problems, as far as I can tell, but that doesn't mean
it is not a useful convention. Especially if you believe that a class name
should be descriptive enough to give you a fighting chance of figuring out
what it is without reading through the code.

It helps quickly differentiate what the thing is; when doing stateless
session EJB's, I have a convention of separating the Home, Remote, and Bean
with common suffixes, so that when I'm looking at the classes its
immediately obvious. If I sometimes changed the names, say having Catalog
and CatalogBean and CatalogHome, and another time having FooRemote and
FooHome and Foo, where Catalog is the remote, and Foo is the implementation,
then it will probably confuse someone.

Consistency => Maintainability

One area where I think this convention would come in handy is with the
eventually refactored Condition task. We'd end up with ConditionTask,
ConditionType, OrType, AndType, OsType, etc. This might be more easy to
figure out what's going on rather than always having to check what package
you're in, i.e. taskdefs.ConditionTask (pretty obvious) vs.
taskdefs.condition.Condition & taskdefs.conditon.ConditionBase - I'm not
sure what these are just by looking at them.

We don't have to settle on this convention, but I think there should be a
convention, rather than the current mishmash of "everybody's personal
favorite".  Can we at least all agree on that?

Tim