ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: attribute and element namings of the archiving tasks.
Date Sat, 29 Dec 2001 04:21:42 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 02:35
Subject: Re: attribute and element namings of the archiving tasks.

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to replace this with the 'destFile' attribute; leaving
> > the old warfile, jarfile stuff in there as deprecated, adding
> > deprecation to the file attr, and pulling the file attribute from
> > the docs.
>
> +1

done to zip, jar, war, ear. Passes the tests on zip and jar; there are no
tests for war and ear. Found a bug in ear while I was doing it; the check
for accidental reinclusion of a different application.xml would not have
worked.

* I have not committed anything yet*

I want to add a war and ear test first, and do some rigorousness on the
'legacy' attributes. which we can regression test against. You know, use a
directory as a destination, missing webxml and appxml, invalid webxml and
appxml, etc.

> And remove the file attribute before the release of Ant 1.5, no need
> to remain backwards compatible to code that has never been released
> IMHO.

Left it in for now, add a big "obsolete" warning message and an @todo tag
for xdoclet
to catch. I know we dont run xdoclet over the source to generate a todo
list; that is a todo item of its own

> > 2. gzip, bzip2 need srcFile and destFile attributes, and should add
> > dependency testing to not create the dest if it is up to date.
>
> +1

Not started, though I factored the isUpToDate() test into destfile itself.

> > 3. Unjar/Untar/Unwar/Unzip can take the srcFile and destDir attrs as
> > aliases for their existing stuff
>
> +1

I'd done this, not committed, and was going to do the regression tests but
Magesh's changes and mine have clashed. I will do the regression tests and
see if his changes pass them, if so just extend his changes.

> > 4. Gunzip. Bunzip2 can take srcFile easily. Its dest attribute can
> > be either a file or a directory, with different behavior in each
> > case. I'd like to add explicit destDir and destFile attributes and
> > behaviour,
>
> +1

Not started. Maybe next week.

> > 5. <tar> only takes <tarfileset> as a parameter, even if you don't
> > want to spec username, mode, etc. I'd like to add <fileset> support;
> > the way I envisage this is to have an addFileSet(FileSet fileset)
> > method which creates a new tarfileset for every fileset
> >
> > public void addFile Set(FileSet fileset) {
> >     filesets.addElement(new TarFileSet(fileset));
> > }
> >
> > None of this would break anything, we just add more 'deprecated'
> > cruft (sigh), but gain a simpler conceptual model for end users.
>
> Is it worth the trouble? +0

Will leave alone, but will add a destFile attr for <tar> instead; .