ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephane Bailliez" <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What am I doing wrong?
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2002 16:12:55 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jesse Stockall" <jesse@cryptocard.com>
[...]
> I didn't get any sort of a reply. If the tasks are not suitable for
> inclusion for some reason. I will try to fix the reason, or give up &
> see about putting them in ant-contrib project @ SourceForge. But since I
> got no reply, I'm left wondering what to do.

A couple of things. Eric already replied, but there are a couple of style
issues in the code. I suggest you fix them before Eric review it.

- Coding style is not consistent. You use a mix of m_ prefixed variables and
non prefixed one. All code should be following Jakarta coding guidelines.
(at least for the Ant 1.x tree, we'll see for Ant 2.x...)

- Move all your constants into an interface and use them explicitely. In
your code you define constants private and access to them as getMyConstant()
{ return MY_CONSTANT; }, so you are forced to define loads of getters whose
sole purpose is to send back constants, this add so many lines that you feel
it is better to put everything in one line (which is not following coding
guidelines as well :-)

- Use File setter such as setMyFile(File file) rather than setMyFile(String
myfile), resolution will be done automatically.

- I don't think it is wise to code workaround in your code for something
that went incorrectly in a buildfile. null cannot happen or is a programming
error thus it should fail with a NPE and if a property has not been defined
then that's not your problem, it's the problem of the one that did the
buildfile so I see no reason why the task should work while it should not...

Good thing you added them to bugzilla.

Stephane.