ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: ANSI Color Logger
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:36:38 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: ANSI Color Logger

> +1
>
> What we really need now is a way to chain loggers together.  My changes to
> DefaultLogger made it subclassable at least, so I'd recommend that your
> color logger subclass DefaultLogger (see MailLogger)

oh, and design it to be subclassable so that the implementation of coloured
output can be redone; lets someone write a native win32 lib to call
::WriteConsoleColorAttribute() to set the colour of chars after they are
written.

> > It doesn't work on WinNT even with
> > ANSI.SYS loaded and in command.com mode.

blech.

Apparently dave cutler didnt belive in GUIs, so he wrote a good console mode
for nt instead. All I can say is that he didnt seem to believe in coloured
console windows and he certainly didnt believe in making kernel dev easy.