ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.9 actionlist & Selector API
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:56:58 GMT
From: "Tim Dawson" <tdawson47@yahoo.com>

> Some types don't need the "operation" -e.g. permission.

Operation is not a mandatory attribute.  If omitted,
the PermissionFileSelector may implicitly assume
that the operation is "equals", but I would say that
even in permission, operation would be needed because
I may want to filter based on "not writeable" or
something like that.

> Some types need more than one "value". What if I want
> a "between" selector that needs two values? Of course, I
> could always do a "before" and an "after" but this is the

As you say, it would take 2 'selectors' added to your <include>
- one with the before operaiton and the other with the after
operation.  I don't think having to do this is is necessarily bad -
you are talking about compound filters which can anyway be
constructed from simple ones.

> Plus, its not entirely clear to me how I'd add my own
> FileSelectors using this api. With an implementation based on
> registering new data types, I could add them simply by pulling
> in a new antlib that declared that file selector type.

The proposal that I made lets you add your own FileSelectors
to the defaults.properties file.

> From looking at the Mutant design notes, it looks like
> Conor is supporting it, so he'll have trouble with this as
> well if there's someone opposed to it. I'd like to hear
> from whoever -1'ed it, because I don't see the downside.

While I am not terribly fond of using "operation" & "value"
in generic ways, I implemented it this way because that is
what has been accepted by vote for Ant2.  If those who
voted feel like this needs to be re-voted upon, then I will
withdraw my submission and fix it up to what is being
newly recommended.

> Tim

Cheers,
Magesh