ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Virtual FileSystem Layer
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2001 19:50:29 GMT
On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:

> JNDI is nice. It will be slower - a lot slower - and a bit more
> memory hungry ... whether this is an issue or not is another thing
> altogether.

This could become a big issue, at least the "a lot slower" part.  All
the crude "are we doing a slow scan" parts in DirectoryScanner are
there because Ant 1.1 has simply been too slow when scanning large
directory trees.  Even now, most time of the javac task will be spent
scanning the source tree for files that match **/*.java - the
compilation itself will probably be a lot faster (at least when using
jikes or modern).  <javac>'s perfomance is one of Ant's big pros, so
we shouldn't destroy that 8-)

Any estimate how bad the performance of JNDI compared to direct file
access is?  Can we implement a hybrid solution that uses direct file
system access when we know that we are talking about plain local
files?

Stefan