ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Immutability
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:31:04 GMT
On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
>
>> Appending to an existing path reference?  OK, this one just came to
>> my mind after I've seen Conor's mail.
>>
> Now, today you can do the append, you just cannot call it with the
> same name.  But why would you want to use the same name?

Because I want to append to something I've inherited?

One point to note: I don't have to change the id at all.  If you go
and put the immutability policy into the core at the setProperty
level, it will only make sure I cannot change the Object the
property's name points to.  In the presence of richer objects than
String, nothing prevents me from changing the value of that Object via
public APIs.

>> * chosing the compiler on a task by task basis.
>
> This is a defect of the <javac> tasks that use a "magic property" as
> oppose to an attribute to make that decision.

Completely agreed.

> Not a goodargument for inmutability.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't say that properties should be mutable by
<property>, I say that we shouldn't enforce immutability in the core.
Partly because I don't see any reason for that restriction.

> This is a none sense example, sorry to say. In the current
> implementation not even <antcall> can reuse the same Project object.

See CruiseControl, it does.

Stefan