ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/testcases/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs AntTest.java
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:13:50 GMT
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
>
> That is why I suggested <param> beecause it does not say what they
> are but what their function as parameters of the call.

<ant> that meant a different thing would cause even more confusion.

> Are we going to add new <elements> for every new kind of thingy we
> come up with?

Aren't we?

> You mean if I use the same ID twice the second one will win?

Yes.

> Humm, if that is the case, I would say that is a bug, not a feature.

But it may be a big people rely on.

> And my reason for that is that by XML spec you are not supposed to
> have two things with the same ID attribute in the same XML document.

Even though <antstructure> says "id" is an ID in the DTD, nothing is
there to enforce it.  Ant doesn't conform to any DTD whatsoever
anyway.

> Are you copying the objects or just passing copying the entries from
> the IDs table? The reason I am asking is two fold:

Copying the references, not cloning the objects right now.

> 1) If I remember correctly, datatypes are associated to a Project
> instance during creation.

Most of them still take an explicit project instance when you use
them.  But we need to take care here, you are correct.

> 2) <property> objects, IIRC, are also stored as references.

No, they can be, but they are not always.

Stefan