ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IntrospectionHelper questions
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2001 20:17:09 GMT
On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Adam Murdoch <adammurdoch_ml@yahoo.com> wrote:

> - IntrospectionHelper arbitrarily chooses an attribute setter method
> for a class when there is more than one of the same precedence.

You don't have any influence on the order by which the VM hands the
methods to this class, that's why it is an arbitrary choice.  Magesh
has changed the code so that the setters with non-String arguments now
take precedence over those with String arguments - this happens in Ant
itself when we keep the old API for backwards compatibility (other
tasks extending Ant's tasks) but take advantage of more sophisticated
things like EnumeratedAttribute or Ant's magic when you use File
arguments.

> Any problems with me adding a warning?

No problem.

> I realise, of course, that this stuff is the core of Ant, and that
> the whole backwards compatibility story depends heavily on it.

Probably, yes.  You could try to refactor some things to see where
problems may arise (like I want to give the whole RuntimeConfigurable
/ UnknownElement combo a second and probably third thought after
christmas) but you probably wouldn't get far.

Revamping the core, really takes a major version change IMHO.

Stefan