ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Action List - Volunteers Needed
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 07:13:03 GMT
On 10 Dec 2001, Magesh Umasankar <umagesh@rediffmail.com> wrote:

> How do we solve the messages out-of-sync problem in
> the Oepn-Source world?

(1) Don't accept any submissions with hard-coded (i.e. not loaded from
resources) messages.

(2) Don't accept any submission without English messages.

(3) Default to an English locale if a message cannot be found in the
current locale.

All this won't guarantee that we are never running out-of-sync, but it
will guarantee that you will always get an error message (unlike Sun's
ProjectX XML parser that would issue messages like "P76" in a German
locale 8-).

We should only guarantee that Ant messages are completely localized
for (US?) English locales.  Chances for German and French are quite
good as well (judging from the number of users who speak these
languages, not because of Stephane or me), but we shouldn't raise
expectations we cannot meet.

Stefan