ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/testcases/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs AntTest.java
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:39:59 GMT
On 10 Dec 2001, <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

>   Allow <ant> and <antcall> to pass references to the subbuilds.

This is a major conceptual change so I want to explain the inner
workings a little (and give people a chance to improve my
documentation patch 8-).  I feel it gets us closer to unifying
properties and other data types.

If you use <ant inheritall="false" />, nothing changes.

There is a new nested element in <ant> (and <antcall>) named
<reference> that can be used to identify those data type references
that you want to pass to a subbuild explicitly, you can also change
the "id" of that reference for the subbuild on the fly.

If you use <ant inheritall="true" /> (or without that attribute), all
references will be copied over to the subbuild, unless a reference of
the same name already exists in the subbuild - i.e. the implicit
copying will never override references defined in child builds.  We
could as well remove that bit and stick with explicit copying of
references, I just wanted to get that functionality in and see whether
it affects Gump runs.

On the other side, references explicitly passed down via the nested
<reference> elements will always override existing values in child
builds, this mirrors the precedence of nested property elements over
those defined in subbuilds.

Stefan