ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Immutability
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:17:09 GMT
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> My vote does not count, as some of you have pointed out in the past,
> but I have to say that moving to having VARIABLES instead
> of declarative properties I think it is a big mistake.

+1

However it seems we're in minority, and there's little to do about this.
It has been discussed too many times, and the opinions are too solid for
any hope to change that.

The only thing that matter to me is to preserve the current behavior for
<property> and the existing tasks - changing all existing build files to
work with modifiable property is not an option.

What about maintaining 2 sets of properties, and maybe use a different
syntax for 'variables' ? <set> tag will work with vars, <property> with
'classic' immutables, and everyone can be happy. We can use $(var) or
%var% or something like that.

Costin