ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 15:02:44 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> (not Ant itself as an older
> version of Ant won't have the -legacy switch, obviously)

Just curious, what's "obvious" about that statement?  Shortly after 1.4 a
change was made to the "jar" task, and Ant's build.xml was upgraded in the
process.  To date, it appears that the working assumption is that
developers will bootstrap when necessary.

By the way, I am *very* concerned that -legacy will be used too
aggressively.  IMHO, it should only be used after a *significant* period of
deprecation, containing at a minimum one public release.  Taking the jar
attribute name example, if making it a legacy option were done at the same
time, the I would be routinely setting the flag, and thereby eliminating
any incremental benefit that there would exist over and above the current
deprecation policy.

- Sam Ruby