ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - FOP
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:14:54 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> I guess my response to your commit message hasn't made it to
> fop-dev yet.

I've manually approved two more messages.  Anyone on the fop-dev team want
to volunteer to become moderator?  My guess is that the current moderator
has become backlogged for some reason.

> There is a built-in Ant task named <style> that has been built-in for
> a long time.  It performs XSLT transformations, so it seems to be in
> the same area as <xslt>.  I haven't looked at the code of FOP's task,
> but I assume that it must be doing something better than <style> does
> and therefore I would love to see <style> improved.

Looking at both, I believe that fop could make use of the <style> tag.  The
primary difference between the two is that <style> was designed to support
running multiple inputs through one stylesheet, <xslt> was designed to
support sending one input.  If fop were to use <style> for all of its
fontfile.xsl transformations, it likely would see a noticable speedup in
processing (and as this step takes a while, I'm sure that the speedup would
be most welcome).

There are a few secondary differences.  <xslt> has a smart attribute which
can be used to disable the check to see if the output is already up to date
- this apparently is never used.  It also has a mergefile attribute which
will append the contents of the specified file to the target - again never
used.

Finally, there is a depends attribute which can declare other files which
are referenced for the uptodate check.  This can be done with the uptodate
task.  This is the only part that is slightly messy as it requires multiple
targets to be created in order to achieve the same result.  And since the
translation to be done is to delete the output.

- Sam Ruby