ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Available Task and Classpath
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:26:00 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@s-und-n.de> wrote:
>
> > I think, the build.sysclasspath property is not correctly
> > implemented for the Available task - or it has the wrong name as not
> > the system classpath is ignored but the user classpath.
>
> Depends on what you call "system".  It can be used to ignore the
> equivalent of the CLASSPATH environment variable, which is the
> system's CLASSPATH, isn't it? 8-)

Hmmm, ok.

> > So, what do you think? Is this a self-made problem, or exists there
> > another solution?
>
> It is part of a Sun made problem IMHO.  If you include JNDI for JDK
> 1.2, you may run into problems when you try to use the distribution on
> a later JDK with a different version of these classes - all the JAXP
> incompatibility problems Ant could come in a different area but for
> the same reasons.
>
> I think the only solution is to tell people that they'll also need the
> JNDI classes when using JDK 1.2 or provide two different
> distributions.

I'm not satisfied with this. The main problem still exists, that you
would need the same environment to run the build application as the
environment for building it.
If the requirements for your application are JDK 1.2 and you have
optional components which are only build when you have JDK 1.3 and you
now build using JDK 1.3 this results in a build which is only runnable
with JDK 1.3 - you don't have any choice to build a version for JDK 1.2
using JDK 1.3.
I think, this is a common problem. Aren't there others having this
problem? How did you solve it?

Carsten