ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@imediation.com>
Subject RE: Action List - Volunteers Needed
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:27:38 GMT
[...]

> Almost none from our users but I have wanted it for ages.
> Part of the reason
> is to just remove messages from the code because programmers
> tend to have bad
> english and pulling it out makes it easier for
> non-programmers to correct us
> ;)

This is not exactly true.

Even though developers are not perfect in english (and especially developers
like me whose native language is not english), since Ant is a build (ie
technical) tool targeted to developers, the messages are more than often
understandable to the average Joe user.

Don't even think that a professional translator will easily do a good job at
translating stuff he does not even understand due to its very technical
nature. The translator will need to have a firm grasp of this technical
stuff in both language and people like this are not falling from trees :-)

More than often a translator will translate something vague in english with
something even more vague in another language that is completely out of
context for the average Joe user and that means absolutely nothing.

Personally, my understanding of a technical book in english is far better
than its translation in French because there are so many mistakes, cuts or
missing concepts that it makes the translated book absolutely useless.

As an additional note, I also can tell you that I did part of my aerospace
engineering studies with english books rather than french books...with an
exception being the aerodynamics/fluid dynamics book in French...translated
from Russian (awesome books that is, but it was official russian translation
!!)

Stephane