ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@imediation.com>
Subject RE: Action List - Volunteers Needed
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:04:46 GMT

[...]
> 4. Look at the feasability of i18n'ing tasks and the
> runtime (though I can't help much at the translating
> level, I would love to contribute at the infrastructure
> level).  btw, I am interested to know how much demand
> there has been for this?  Also, what are the parts we

About the demand, I know that french are pretty lazy and prefer to have ant
in their own language, but this is really more than that...let's start by
have messages in a specific locale.

For now, I would even put a -1 on any manual translation except if someone
is really dedicated to it and is maintaining it full time

People are complaining that manual are not translated but if it is available
it will:
1) rarely be read
2) often be out of synch

So that will be a lot of work with little value...
Localized messages will be a plus for basic users and will not require a lot
of resources.

> aim to internationalize?  - the messages displayed?
> task names? Dates? There is no currency involved right
> now...  Please clarify, Stefan and Stephane?

- Task names must not be changed, otherwise -> nightmare.
- Dates: people are free to put their own date format, locale and timezone
in tstamp.
- Currency: ? Ant is a build tool not a business tool :) (and JDK 1.4 only
supports currency)

Stephane