ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kerns, Bob" <Bob.Ke...@firepond.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types
Date Mon, 31 Dec 2001 19:18:35 GMT
Doesn't "very hard" overstate the case substantially? As with EJB's, etc.,
using the Class-Path: attribute in the Jar manifest should provide the
mechanism for using classes from another tasklib, including via inheritance.
(Although the design of the classloader that loads them may affect whether
they share the actual same class, or another copy).

There are arguments both ways for or against using inheritance, but I agree,
it shouldn't be lost.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jose Alberto Fernandez [mailto:j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 8:03 AM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types

From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

> In the architecture we have discussed for Ant2 it will be very difficult
> subclass tasks unless they are in the same tasklib. So if there is
behaviour
> that needs to be shared it should be refactored into another bean and
> delegated to. In the rare cases that do need inheritance it is expected
that
> you don't mess things up ;)

This sounds like a very large limitation to me. If you look at all the
war/jar/ejb/etc
tasks they just subclass and add new attributes or elements or whatever.
This things should not be in the same tasklib because some are core while
others are optional (for example).

Inheritance is well known and valid pattern and I think we need to make an
effort not
to loose it in the design.

> No idea if base classes TaskInfo will add to or be replaced by subclasses
> TaskInfo.

Jose Alberto