ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Immutability
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2001 13:31:35 GMT
MHO on immutability

-1 to immutability enforced by the core
+1 to immutability enforced by standard Ant tasks

My reasons:

I have always seen the core as a repository of values which may be
written as well as read. In Ant1 that means primarily string properties.
In Ant2, we intend to unify properties with other data types. Can we be
so sure that all such values will also be immutable. Maybe or maybe not.
I would rather keep the core simple and implement immutability at the
task level.

That allows the Ant tasks to make the decision about immutability
depending on the type of data they are manipulating. It also allows Task
writers to decide if they want to implement mutable data values (not
necessarily just string properties). I don't see why we want to force
immutability at the core level. It is an unecessary restriction.

Conor