ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Wood <>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2001 04:48:34 GMT
Magesh Umasankar wrote:

> You said the answer yourself.  When you upgraded from say, Ant 1.2 to Ant
> 1.3,
> you got this warning and you were most pleased.  Imagine a user upgrading
> to Ant 1.5 from 1.1.  She wouldn't have got a single deprecation warning.

I imagine anyone who jumps from 1.1 to 1.5:

  a. Understands the industry and
     will know things have changed. Imagine someone who
     jumped straight from Windows 1.0 to Windows XP -
     not only would they be in shock, but many API's
     would be changed or gone. But, anyone making such
     a big leap would know it is their own fault for sticking
     with an old release for a long time, and then making
     a huge leap forward. They wouldn't expect MS to carry
     all that excess baggage.

  b. Is capable of reading the manual and learning what
     has changed, and adapting.

  c. <smiley> get what they deserve if they don't grok a & b </smiley>

If we follow this logic to its absurd conclusion, every program
should carry it's excess baggage forward from every release, just
to accommodate the minority.

I feel that the bulk of the Ant users migrate from release
to release in a controlled, orderly manner. By worrying about
the tiny few who install Ant 1.0 and then years later decide
to upgrade to Ant 1.99999, we are doing the majority a disservice.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message