ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Best way to add file to CVS repository?
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2001 06:38:48 GMT
On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 08:36:15PM -0600, Steve Cohen wrote:
> What is the best way for someone not a committer to submit a totally new
> file for the ant CVS repository?  Last time I did this, I just sent it
> an an attachment with the bug report I'd submitted.
>
> However, this seems like a kludgey way to go about it.  Ideally, it
> seems to me, a new file should fit into the CVS patch file the way
> anything else does.  But of course, since you haven't checked it out,
> CVS knows nothing about it and cvs diff won't work.  Is there a way to
> get this into the patches file?  Or is sending it as a separate
> attachment the only way?

One way is to:

a) get the cvsutils scripts from http://www.red-bean.com/cvsutils/.
   Worth getting anyway. I don't know what I'd do without 'cvsco' :)

b) Do a 'cvsdo add <file>', which modifies CVS/Entries to mark the file
as new (without contacting the server).

c) Generate the diff with 'cvs -RuN' (Recursion, unified, New files).
'man diff' says:

  -N
  --new-file
     In directory comparison, if a file is found in only one directory,
     treat it as present but empty in the other directory.

I can add this to the task guidelines if it's not deemed to hackish :)

--Jeff