ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Action List - Volunteers Needed
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 20:40:03 GMT
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 07:08, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
> From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
>
> > Almost none from our users but I have wanted it for
> > ages. Part of the reason is to just remove messages
> > from the code because programmers tend to have bad
> > english and pulling it out makes it easier for non-
> > programmers to correct us ;)
>
> How do we solve the messages out-of-sync problem in
> the Oepn-Source world?  It would take somebody real
> committed and knowledgeable in that language to catch
> each message inserted on a daily basis and translate it -
> or maybe before every release at least.

In a closed source product (my only real i18n'ed project yet) we sent a diff
of changes in resource files to the translator a week before release. It
worked relatively well ... but we ended up dropping support for other
languages anyways so ... ;)

> If pulling away the messages to a resource bundle is
> the only real need right now, must we commit to
> i18n?  I am not trying to say we don't need i18n, btw.

small steps at a time are good.

--
Cheers,

Pete

When a stupid man is doing something he's ashamed of, he always
declares that it is his duty.
					 George Bernard Shaw