ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: removing deprecated stuff
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 11:40:30 GMT
 --- Tim Vernum <Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com> wrote: >

> All this should be centrally done.
>
> Project.checkDeprecationTask( "javadoc2" ,
> Some_Version ) ;
> Project.checkDeprecationAttribute( "file" ,
> Some_Version ) ;
> Project.checkDeprecationElement( "zipfileset" ,
> Some_Version ) ;
>
> The project can throw a build exception with an
> appropriate message,
> and all the logic of checking the current version
> against previous
> versions is in one place.

I disagree. For example, a user may define its own
"javadoc2" we can not just deprecate the name.
Deprecation is associated with the class or method
itself.

Same applies for others, we cannot just deprecate
"file" as an attribute, it is a task by task issue.

With respect to centralized checking, I agree the code
doing the actual checking needs to be centralized.
That is why I am proposing a new method simillar to
Task.log() that people will call and the correct thing
will happened.

The text of the message should be simillar to that you
are suppose to put in your @deprecated javadoc
comment.

Jose Alberto