ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: ValidatedFileAttribute removed
Date Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:12:19 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Magesh Umasankar" <umagesh@apache.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 12:08
Subject: ValidatedFileAttribute removed

> From: <umagesh@apache.org>
>
> > umagesh     01/12/30 11:53:25
> >
> >   Removed:     src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types DestDir.java
> >                         DestFile.java PreferredAttribute.java
SrcDir.java
> >                         SrcFile.java ValidatedFileAttribute.java
> >   Log:
> >   Removing DestFIle, DestDir, SrcFile, SrcDir, ValidatedFileAttribute
> >   and PreferredAttribute.
>
> More sophisticated Validation Mechanism is being discussed
> and the one that I had checked in might hamper it.  Moreover,
> Peter felt my implementation may lead to maintenance issues.
> Hence, I have removed the newly introduced references from the
> codebase.

There is a message about changes you made to expand.java which is lost in
the ether, probably blocked till after new years day, and I got mixed up
about expand versus gunzip.

What it did say was that I had experimentally added srcfile and destfile
attrs into zip, war, jar and ear, as part of the unification of attribute
names which I proposed a few weeks back, and kind of led to this whole
thing.

But I havent committed any of that, as I was testing to see how it worked,
and waiting for everyone to come back from xmas. Looks like half the changes
are moot now; I will bind the attributes to File instead. But maybe I'll
keep a copy of the files for historical value.

In my little fixup exercise, I can state that the new datatype paradigm did
work nicely, provided your rules matched exactly what the types supported.
When that case held, what you got was zero effort datatype validation.
Things like that make creating robust tasks easier, and tasks with
consistency with existing tasks.

We can start next week with a utils class that performs the standard
validation stuff.

-Steve