ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:41:23 GMT
From: "Magesh Umasankar" <umagesh@apache.org>

> In other words, I think, removal of
> deprecated stuff doesn't mean removal of *code* in most cases.  It just
> means
> making it unusable in a gracious way (by providing lots of How to Convert
> type
> messages).

Not necessarily. Another way is for IntrospectionHelper to notice the
usage of unexistent stuff and just publish a message like:

    "Attribute (or element) foo is not defined, if your buildfile was created
for an older version of ANT, please run the upgrade command which will
try to port your build file to the current version."

As I said, this after two or three releases where the thing went from deprecated
to legacy to non-existent.

Humm, do we need a "ant -upgrade 1.1 -f  buildfile" command? Interesting idea.
This will just run a <style> task with an specific XSLT template and produce
buildfile-upgraded.xml.

Jose Alberto