ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2001 06:09:05 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Magesh Umasankar" <umagesh@apache.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: removing deprecated stuff

> From: "Ken Wood" <kwood@i2.com>
>
> > I agree with number 3. When I started getting deprecation warnings
> > for my use of "rename", I was most pleased with the fact that
> > the warning not only told me that rename was deprecated, but it
> > also show what task and options to use to replace it. So I took
> > a few minutes to edit my build.xml, and moved on with my life.
>
> You said the answer yourself.  When you upgraded from say, Ant 1.2 to Ant
> 1.3,
> you got this warning and you were most pleased.  Imagine a user upgrading
> to Ant 1.5 from 1.1.  She wouldn't have got a single deprecation warning.

That is a special case. A 1.1 build may look like it works on ant1,5 but it
wont necessarily as
<javac> in 1.1 copies non java files
properties were assigned into the hashtable at parse time; literals were
also resolved and assigned at that time too (right?)

so both of these could result in a file which looks like it works, and wont.
Can deprecation checks pick up these problems. No, not unless the project
file specifies in an attribute of project which version of ant it was
originally written for.

-steve