ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Immutability improvement patch
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 01:10:52 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>

> Is it the main problem the fact that the code uses Property objects to do
the job
> or the fact that you cannot know the "user-properties" before you define
> the new project? Or is it something else?

Yes, the main issue is that it uses Property, which calls
setNewProperty/setUserProperty on its associated Project.  So to keep things
gradually going in the right direction, have a look at the patch I'll submit
momentarily.  I agree its a hack, but the property immutability issue has
gotten much better.

Just because a core Ant task abuses its privileges some doesn't mean we need
to worry too much about folks copying code since they'll be doing so at
their own risk.  I'll put comments warning of it.  The committers shouldn't
accept future changes that do this kind of thing, and as long as we make
small steps in the right direction each day we'll get there!  :)

> If what you need is the Property objects, one thing we could do is to
subclass
> them in an inner class of Project. (The subclass will be priveledge in the
sense
> that it would be able to set the property as a user property.

Not a bad idea.  I'll finish off what I'm working on and your way could be
another step in the right direction.

> Am I even in the general ballpark?

Yup!

    Erik