ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 08:00:27 GMT
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>

> By adding a whole lot of logic to decide whether a feature is deprecated and
> allowed, etc, we just seem to be adding complexity we don't really need.
>
> In my view we should either
>
> 1. not bother deprecating things since we will never remove them
> 2. deprecate things to encourage better usage but not remove them
> 3. deprecate things and remove after at least one release of being
> deprecated.

I would like something like (3) to be the way, but as many others have point out
we cannot just remove things completely that quick. We need to provide a longer
lifecycle for deprecation, and we need to push people to move forward in the mean time.

So the idea is to have the following stages of deprecation:

    a) feature deprecated, send warning
    b) feature becomes legacy, throw exception unless -legacy
    c) feature removed

People are talking about having two releases between (a) and (b)
and I would say two releases between (b) and (c), but others think
this should happened only when moving to a new version. Additionally we need to
provide a migration stylesheet probably when things become legacy.

So people can try to automate the upgrade.

At the end the only thing we need to keep for ever are the upgrade
stylesheets.

Jose Alberto