ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/testcases/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs AntTest.java
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:53:21 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On 10 Dec 2001, <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >   Allow <ant> and <antcall> to pass references to the subbuilds.
>
> If you use <ant inheritall="false" />, nothing changes.
>
> There is a new nested element in <ant> (and <antcall>) named
> <reference> that can be used to identify those data type references
> that you want to pass to a subbuild explicitly, you can also change
> the "id" of that reference for the subbuild on the fly.

Just thinking about the eventual unification of <property> and <datatypes>,
it would be nice if we could use the same "verb" to refer to both
when used as perameters, something like:

    <antcall ...>
      <param name="xyx" refid="super.xyz" />
    </antcall>
or
    <ant ....>
        <param id="cbs" refid="nbc" />
    </ant>

will upset anyone. <property> subelements can continue to refer to just the strings.

> If you use <ant inheritall="true" /> (or without that attribute), all
> references will be copied over to the subbuild, unless a reference of
> the same name already exists in the subbuild - i.e. the implicit
> copying will never override references defined in child builds.  We
> could as well remove that bit and stick with explicit copying of
> references, I just wanted to get that functionality in and see whether
> it affects Gump runs.
>
> On the other side, references explicitly passed down via the nested
> <reference> elements will always override existing values in child
> builds, this mirrors the precedence of nested property elements over
> those defined in subbuilds.

Is this the same behavior like for <property>s? Can we please try to
unify this behaviors? I mean having half of the things working one way
and the other half working differently does not seem like the correct
thing to do.

If this is too risky, then I would suggest having <datatype> inheritance be driven
by a different attribute like: "inheritrefs='true'" which by default is false.
But if set to true will follow exactly the same rules of overriding as for properties.
We need to get things consistent, guys!

Jose Alberto